Why Volunteer with PermaTree?
We are a grass root organic farm with the target, to live sustainable within the next 3 years. To grow our own food from vegetables to tropical food forests. You can be part of this thriving process! Gain valuable experience and learn about smart permaculture principles. Learn ecological awareness and more about environmental protection. Enjoy the amazing view on to the Zamora river from our bamboo house and help us with farming work, which is challenging in humid, tropical climate. Dive in and be part to our daily farming, living and improve your language. We speak most of the time Spanish.
Long-term Permaculture volunteering positions available at the PermaTree Project in the amazonas region of southern Ecuador. Spend 3 or 6 months to a year at the PermaTree Project, in Ecuador. Current open volunteer positions are:
- All-round volunteer
- Talented Paint/Artist volunteer
- Talented Author/Blogger volunteer
- Experienced Compost volunteer
- Talented Carpenter volunteer
- Talented Video & Photography volunteer
- Experienced natural swimming pool volunteer
Participation is experiential education; you are learning about permaculture and community by living in it. The most helpful, effective, and happy participants are self-motivated, interested, responsible, and accountable.
You will be Involved in these Types of Farm Work
- Cut pasture onto 2-Meter-high with machete.
- Harvest Papaya and Platains at the Farm, combined with a one our hike.
- Help us construct the Volunteer bamboo cabin 6×3 Meters.
- Help in the kitchen, cutting vegetables, prepare drinks, set the table, etc.
- Give food to chickens, guinea pigs and dogs
- Be interested in all kinds of work and don’t be afraid of hard, physical commitment.
- You will work with tools like shovel, spade, pickax, machete, hammer or with your bare hands, depending on what work you are doing. If you experienced, you can handle with other machine like electric saw, driller and so on.
- Stay communicative and involve yourself in to group conversation.
- The main language at PermaTree is Spanish, we will also speak with you in Spanish so you need to be able to speak and converse in Spanish.
- Ask questions if you are not sure. We welcome your interest!
COLLABORATION & KNOWLEDGE
PermaTree is a place where people come together and create mutual enrichment. Participate as a volunteer and teach/learn from people who share their knowledge. On the other hand, we are always looking for mentors to teach the respective topics which match the specific sub-project. Or visit the farm to get a taste of permaculture in the green. Here we stress collaboration. We are about mutual enrichment and working together. There is no room for people who think they know everything.
Each volunteer is asked to be a solid contributor both to the physical work of the site as well as to the social and emotional well-being of the community. Remember you will be living and working in a community! You are given the freedom to make a genuine contribution to the future of the PermaTree farm systems.
Work requirements are a minimum of 5 hours per day (6 days a week) on projects or maintenance. We use shared facilities: kitchen; bathroom; laundry area, and we take turns with daily chores like cleaning. All volunteers will also participate in community chores such as cooking, cleaning communal areas, and maintaining the site. Some occasional weekend duties (such as: watering garden beds, flipping compost, feeding animals, etc). Volunteers will also participate in community meetings ranging from managerial tasks to personal feelings.
Volunteers should consider their position at PermaTree as a job. We like to have fun, but we have serious work to do. The place cannot function without the hard work and energy of all the members. If you care deeply about the work you are doing, you are sure to get most you can out of your time.
We strongly encourage volunteer applicants who are serious about our work and are motivated to be part of our industrious team, working towards solutions for current environmental and social challenges. – We do not allow you to use headphones or listen to podcast, music or any other distraction while working and volunteering at PermaTree.
What to expect
Our day begins at 6:00 a.m. in the morning, so be prepared to get up early. After tropical fruit breakfast and feeding the animals we start with the daily farm projects around 8:00 a.m. – until lunch. If there is time you will be asked to help in the kitchen. Afternoon is mostly time for Self-Initiated-Projects which is a project out of your own ideas which can be implemented within Finca PermaTree. Or continue current farm work if needed. Dinner is mostly around 06:00 p.m. You will have rare internet access from 01:00 p.m. to 04:00 p.m. but we do not want you to stay all the time online, because we think farming is living in nature and be aware of the surroundings influences. Sleep time is usually at 09:00 p.m.
What Do You Get?
- Excellent quality of life in a natural setting, surrounded by nature in tropical climate
- Sustainable Lifestyle (minimal ecological footprint. Eating only fresh organic produce, cooked by ourselves, planting food trees, eating the fruits, all water is from the nearby creek, hot shower during day heated by black pipes from the sun rays, etc.) Minimal waste production, future goal zero waste. No Junk food, no sugar diet, no TV etc. There is no such thing as waste only unused resources …
- Eat tropical fruits you may have never heard or seen in your life
- 24/7 ecuadorian Spanish Language practice
- Community living experience
- Learn to work in a true tropical climate
- Hands-on Permaculture experience
- Develop communication, leadership and teamwork skills
- Develop permaculture skills through hands-on experience in natural building, water management, gardening, plant propagation, food forest establishment, community development, waste management / recycling and more.
SURROUNDED BY NATURE
At PermaTree you are literally surrounded by nature. We are located at the edge of the Amazonas region in the south of Ecuador with a breathtaking landscape view of the Rio Zamora. The twilight is spectacular on cloudy days. At night you can enjoy listening to the frogs, bats and owls. During the day, if you are lucky enough, you can see eagles very near our bamboo house. Snakes, spiders and mosquitoes are a part of the ecosystem here. You can walk around the farm which is about +75 hectares or 180 acres. There are several creeks and waterfalls within the different micro climates of the property.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES AT PERMATREE
Depending on the season you can find: papayas, bananas, plantain, cacao, ice cream bean, sugar cane, pineapple, guava, lemons, guayusa, hierba luisa (lemon grass type), cassava (yuca), wild cherry tomatoes, corn, rosemary, basil, thine, aloe vera, vetiver, neem, noni, naranjilla, zapote and we have been planting guanábanas, mango, avocados, oranges, grapefruits, chirimoya, coconuts, strawberry, maracuya, breadfruit, bamboo (bamboo shoots), macadamia, peach palm (contact), soursop, jackfruit, star fruit and dragon fruit.
PermaTree is located in the “Los Naranjos” neighborhood, “Los Encuentros” village, canton Yantzaza, province of Zamora Chinchpe, 68km northwest of the city of Zamora and 124km from the city of Loja on the “Troncal Amazonica (E45)” nacional road heading to “El Pangui” / “Gualaquiza”.
We are 3 hours from Loja or 6 to 8 hours from Cuenca, Ecuador (Busdrive). 2 Min. from the little town “Los Encuentros” KM 741.5 Troncal Amazónico (E45), in the neighborhood «Los Naranjos» on the other side of the “Chiringuito” Hosteria. We are in the Amazon region. The climate is hot (30°C) and humid (85%). We have short rains from 1 to 3 times a day (precipitation is 2000mm annually). Rainy season is February- August and Dry season is September to January – normaly
Let us know in advance when you arrive. Plan your trip well to us! We do not open the gate after 05:00 p.m., we live on a hill! Please read the Information Pack how to get to us or contact us before if you are not sure.
Before you apply, read carefully our Information Pack and be aware that farming can be challenging work. Minimum stay are 4 weeks. Apply only if you are 100% sure this place could be in your interesting! Read first testimonials of other Volunteers here
Application must be include following:
- Tell us your interests and why you want to volunteer at PermaTree whit your Name, Age and where you from.
- Dates; clearly indicate when you arrive and for how long. Minimum stay are 4 weeks.
- We need contact-info – your email address, phone no (WhatsApp), Facebook URL.
- Send us a copy of your ID (take a picture with your Smartphone).
Please send us your application (points 1.-4.) to us here
After applying, fill out the questionnaire we send you right away within 48 hours.
Yago and Bettina Veith
KM 741.5 Troncal Amazónico E45
Los Naranjos, Los Encuentros
Yantzaza, Zamora Chinchipe, Ecuador
There is a metal-fence with two gates and a little wooden house, where our worker lives. on the other site of the street there is a covered bus stop. We are near to “Chiringuito” Hosteria in the barrio «Los Naranjos».