If you also embrace diversity and a healthy living then you might be interested into the so called tropical fruits or exotic fruits of this planet. Here in Ecuador the different micro-climates provide a fantastic environment for most of the tropical fruits, to grow very well.
Check out our tropical permaculture Food Forest.
Our goal with finca Finca Yantza here within the amazon region of Ecuador, is to grow all of the existing exotic fruits of the planet in one place. Just because we can. And maybe because we the humans are ending natural diversity and this is a growing future issue for the next generations on the planet. We are not here to save the planet or whatever. The planet does not need us. We the planet earth. Back to the tropical fruits a quick overview of the exotic stars within all of them:
- Annona muricata, Guanábana (Soursop)
- Artocarpus heterophyllus, Jackfruit (Jackfruit)
- Vasconcellea × heilbornii, Babaco (Mountain Papaya)
- Artocarpus altilis, Fruti Pan (Breadfruit)
- Jacka (Jackfruit)
- Passiflora edulis, Granadilla (Passionfruit) …
- Stenocereus/Hylocereus, Pitahaya (Dragon fruit)
- Annona cherimoya, Cherimoya (Custard Apple)
- Nahuatl tzapotl, Sapote
- Alibertia patinoi, Borojo
Additionally many other tropical fruits from Asia also do grow very well in Ecuador such as the Durio zibethinus, Durian fruit tree.